guix-devel

Let's Package jQuery: A Javascript Packaging Dystopian Novella

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Let's Package jQuery: A Javascript Packaging Dystopian Novella
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 22:00:23 -0500

Hello,

I looked into trying to package jQuery, and it turned out to be quite
the challenge, much larger than I expected:

  http://dustycloud.org/blog/javascript-packaging-dystopia/

In short, this is another instance where per-language packaging has
helped things grow to a fairly insane state.  I'm not sure how we can
ever get jQuery packaged.  This is a shame, because many free software
web applications (including MediaGoblin) depend on it.  To make matters
worse, I'm sure nearly all modern javascript libraries are like this.

I'm not really sure what this means for Guix and libre web application
in the future.  I'd really like Guix to shine there... but this seems
like a tough thing to overcome.

 - Chris