guix-devel

Re: Offloading acquired build slot loop

From: Les Harris
Subject: Re: Offloading acquired build slot loop
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 01:00:43 -0700

> Could you double-check whether this command succeeds as root and
> non-interactively (no passphrase prompt):
>
>   lsh -l USER build.server.com cat /proc/loadavg

As a followup to this, this set me on the right track. Thank you!  It is
very obvious in hindsight but only my user could lsh into the build
server, root did not have the needed key.  Once that was fixed I could
proceed.

I ran into two further issues that I have resolved.

Issue 1)  The offload build failed saying there was no code for module
(guix config)  because the build server guile could not find guix in its
loadpath since I had installed guix to /usr/local   I just symlinked in
/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.0 to the right place in the /usr/share
tree and this was resolved.

Issue 2) The offload build failed with a permission denied error when
trying to access the guix daemon's socket.  The user local-guix was
using to lsh into the build server did not have write permissions (it
had read) on the socket file.  Giving that user write permissions fixed
this issue.

So combine those three additional things with my initial setup and now I
have functioning offloading.

There are many hidden assumptions in setting up the offloading that I
feel should be documented.  Are documentation patches accepted?

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,