guix-devel

Guix binary tarball

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Guix binary tarball
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 18:46:02 +0200

Hello,

we just set up guix 0.8.2 via the binary tarball on a machine at work, and
experienced a few problems:

- The files all have owner nixbld and group nixbld, whereas on my own machine,
  they are either both root (for /var/guix, /root and /store) or user root,
  group guix-builder (for /gnu/store). As that user and group do not exist
  on the target system, the numerical values 30000 and 30001 are used instead.
  Would it be possible to create the tarball with the correct file owner?
  One would then need to modify the documentation, since one needs to first
  create the guix-builder group and add root to it _before_ unpacking the
  tarball, so that the correct owner will be chosen instead of the numerical
  value.
- The tarball also contains /, /root and /var. When unpacking it, the owner
  and permissions are changed on the system. As a consequence, we could not
  ssh into the machine any more (!). Could these directories be left out of
  the tarball and only their contents be kept in?

Another point, which might simply lead to modifications in the documentation:

- /root/.guix-profile does not need to be accessed by a normal user. I think
  that it is better to do
  # cd /usr/local/bin
  # ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
  instead of
  # ln -s /root/.guix-profile/bin/guix
  This unravels one layer of symbolic links, and does not force to change
  the permissions of /root.

Andreas