guix-devel

Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to guix doc?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 14:01:36 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Feng Shu writes:
>>
>>> Christopher Allan Webber's blog: Guix package manager without "make install"
>>>

>>> http://dustycloud.org/blog/guix-package-manager-without-make-install/
>>>
>>> seem very useful, is it possible add to guix doc?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I'd have no problems adding it to the doc and licensing it as GFDL
>> appropriately if people think it would be useful.
>>
>> It has been referenced a lot on IRC lately, it seems.
>>
>> However I'm not sure the way it's written currently could be directly
>> dumped into the documentation.  It seems to need adjustments, though I'm
>> not sure exactly how it could be adjusted.
>
> What I would like is to have a “Guix Development” section in the manual,
> along the lines of “Running Guix before it is installed” in ‘HACKING’,
> but marked as a developer’s trick.

That sounds like a good idea.

> I do not feel like explicitly inviting users to do “alias
> guix=~/guix/pre-inst-env guix”, though, because that seems a bit hacky.
> ;-)
>
> WDYT?

Do you have an alternative suggestion so that running guix easily in
bash is possible?  Per my current blogpost, this alias is only set up
after running guix-enable.  I agree it's not ideal, and am open to alternatives.

> For the Emacs part, I think setting ‘load-path’,
> ‘geiser-guile-load-path’, and ‘guix-load-path’ would be enough.  Maybe
> that part of the doc needs to be adjusted?

Does that work?  I originally had some different settings but I found
that the right things did not seem to be on the path from the guile
being launched.  Originally I set environment variables from within
emacs (yikes!) so using the pre-install-env version was a
simplification.

Does anyone have an alternative .emacs setup they've tested without a
"make install" that they know works?