guix-devel

Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to guix doc?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 15:59:41 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> What I would like is to have a “Guix Development” section in the manual,
>> along the lines of “Running Guix before it is installed” in ‘HACKING’,
>> but marked as a developer’s trick.
>
> That sounds like a good idea.

Done in c71979f.  Comments & patches welcome!  :-)

>> I do not feel like explicitly inviting users to do “alias
>> guix=~/guix/pre-inst-env guix”, though, because that seems a bit hacky.
>> ;-)
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Do you have an alternative suggestion so that running guix easily in
> bash is possible?  Per my current blogpost, this alias is only set up
> after running guix-enable.  I agree it's not ideal, and am open to
> alternatives.

I think if we document ./pre-inst-env, then it’ll be clear that people
can do this sort of thing.  All I’m saying is that I’d rather not
document the technique from your post in extenso because that’s not very
nice.

I confess that, being biased as I am ;-), I don’t fully understand the
rationale: after all, you’re already installing /gnu and
/usr/local/var/guix, so why is it so important to not install two more
files in /usr/local/bin?

But really, it’s just me being ignorant about the use case, so I’m happy
to read what people think/want.

>> For the Emacs part, I think setting ‘load-path’,
>> ‘geiser-guile-load-path’, and ‘guix-load-path’ would be enough.  Maybe
>> that part of the doc needs to be adjusted?
>
> Does that work?

I have ~/src/guix/emacs in ‘load-path’ and ~/src/guix in
‘geiser-guile-load-path’, and that’s all it takes, AFAICS.  Alex?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.