guix-devel

Re: Daemon update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Daemon update
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 17:18:19 +0200

Alexander Vorobiev <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ok, I have just tried to build the binary tarball on a VM where I
> reproduced all the paths I want (basically, instead of /gnu I want
> /shared/shape_tier3/common/local/guix) and which has c++11 compliant gcc --
> that also failed.

What failed exactly?

Note that ‘make guix-binary.x86_64-linux.tar.xz’ produces a tarball that
uses the exact same store directory as the host Guix.  So if you want to
produce a binary tarball with a custom store directory, you first need
to build Guix --with-store-dir=/custom/store.

If, in addition, you want a custom $localstatedir, then at least the
‘guix’ recipe in (gnu packages package-management) must be adjusted, as
well as the “/var” in ‘self-contained-tarball’ in (gnu system install).

> I pulled today's git and ran guix-daemon --no-substitutes. The error
> seems to be "unable to fork: Operation not permitted". I am running
> guix-daemon as myself

When running guix-daemon unprivileged, you need to pass --disable-chroot
(EACCES is returned by clone(2) here since we ask for separate name
spaces, which only root or someone with CAP_SYS_ADMIN can do.)

It’s better to use run it as root though (info "(guix) Invoking
guix-daemon").

Thanks,
Ludo’.