guix-devel

Re: Guix "ops"

From: Carlos Sosa
Subject: Re: Guix "ops"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 11:47:23 -0700

David Thompson <address@hidden> writes:

> Thinking out loud here: Maybe 'guix deploy' can kick off the
> provisioning for all machines first, and afterwards the OS configs can
> be altered to include the correct /etc/hosts file.

  I like the idea of `guix deploy` with a minor change where we add
  `guix deploy machine`, but can that be a command that calls separate
  steps like `guix provision machine` and then `guix set-config machine`
  or something similar. My intention with that, is that if the command
  `guix set-config machine` fails at least `guix deploy machine` worked
  and you can SSH to that machine or debug why did the OS configs
  failed. To deploy all of our machines in #machines-list we can do
  `guix deploy` where it defaults to `guix deploy all`. I guess this
  hints more on the usability perspective, but I think provisioning the
  OS and the configuration provision should be separate tasks. I will
  try to develop that soon. I know a patch says more than words. :)

> I threw out OpenStack because it's a self-hostable, free software VM
> platform.  I'm open to any other platforms that will exercise the full
> range of capabilities that 'guix deploy' needs to be useful.

  I've been using LXC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXC to work around
  with Guix and play with substitutes and offloading. It's been pretty
  straight forward and clean, I don't know if that would be something to
  consider.

  - Carlos