guix-devel

Re: Kernel recompilation on Novena

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Kernel recompilation on Novena
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 20:54:48 -0400

> Thanks for the info!
>
> I wonder what the status of our linux-libre package is on armhf.  I
> guess we first need a config file for that platform, based on the x86
> ones.

I may be showing my ignorance, but it seems to me that kernels built for
armhf and mips machines usually need custom patches and configuration
that vary from one machine to another.  Or at least the armhf and mips
machines that I have access to (Novena and Loongson-based laptops)
require additional patches and custom configuration.

They also typically use bootloaders other than GRUB.  The Loongson-based
machines use PMON and the Novena uses U-Boot.

IMO, the first step is to make it easier to create custom linux-libre
packages with custom patches and additional configuration.  We will also
need to support other bootloaders.

      Mark