guix-devel

Re: More INSTALL and HACKING docs

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: More INSTALL and HACKING docs
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:29:01 -0400

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> wrote:
> Because I don't trust my memory I tend to write up what I find out
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/HACKING.org
>
> Malcolm also started one
>
>   https://github.com/malcook/sce/blob/master/README.org
>
> since it is written in Org-mode, we hope some of it might find its way
> into the main docs eventually.
>
> Corrections appreciated!!

Hey, this is good stuff!  I like how some explanations are framed from
a Rubyists perspective.  I hope it may help some Ruby programmers join
in on all the packaging fun.

I would like to correct something in the HACKING.org document:

    Note that Docker is a propriety technology and frowned upon by
members of the GNU Guix community.

Docker is free software[0].  Some of us may not be very enthusiastic
about Docker (me), but we do not frown upon it because it gives its
users the 4 freedoms.  I also feel that this is a good time to mention
that someone should package the Go compiler. ;)

Thanks,

- Dave

[0] https://github.com/docker/docker