guix-devel

Re: guix import issue

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: guix import issue
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 10:22:59 +0200

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 05:20:23PM +1000, Ben Woodcroft wrote:
> >One of the benefits of Guix is that you can press Ctrl-C any time
> >without consequences (I do it regularly).

> Thanks for the update. I knew this was true of installing packages,
> just wasn't sure about other operations.

It is not true for compiling Guix the first time from source.

Once you are running guix itself to install/compile packages is a
transaction.  Sometimes annoyingly so because it keeps downloading and
building the same tarballs until completion.

> >This tells that your gnutls misses guile bindings (it may be that your
> >distro compiles gnutls with "--disable-guile" option).  I think it
> >should be fixed if you install gnutls with guix: "guix package -i
> >gnutls".
> This does indeed fix the error, and now I'm all set. Thanks.

Guile is everywhere, even GNU make:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Guile-Integration.html

Blessed is the man in whose spirit there is no guile ;).

Pj.