guix-devel

Re: inside the Guile REPL

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: inside the Guile REPL
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:38:18 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have started to document how to use Guix from the Guile REPL.
> Tips/hints wanted from experienced hackers! This is not only to keep
> my memory fresh, it may be useful for others.
>

> https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/HACKING.org#debugging-the-package

Nice work!

I think it would be nice to see what could be folded into the manual.

The “Defining Packages” section attempts to get the reader started with
writing package definitions, also giving references to the various tools
(‘guix import’, ‘guix hash’, etc.)  Do you think there are things that
could be presented differently or added to that section?

The API, things like bags, and using the REPL are largely undocumented
in the manual.  Regarding the REPL, we probably don’t want to duplicate
what’s already in the Guile manual.

However, I agree that giving an example of how to use the REPL
specifically with Guix would be welcome.  Would you like to propose a
patch?  This could be a section below “Defining Packages” with the
transcript of a simple REPL session and cross-references to the relevant
parts of the Guile manual.

The part about patches should be mostly covered by the new “Submitting
Patches” section of the manual, but again, improvements are always
welcome!

Thanks,
Ludo’.