guix-devel

Re: matplotlib broken

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: matplotlib broken
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:36:04 +0200

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I don’t know if I’m missing something, but when I type ‘matplotlib’ at
>>> the prompt, I get:
>>>
>>> /gnu/store/g4m8q73cq4lym3v1ag7pnk5zv49mdifs-python-matplotlib-1.4.2/lib/python3.4/site-packages/matplotlib-1.4.2-py3.4-linux-x86_64.egg/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk3.py
>>>  in <module>()
>>>      19 except ValueError:
>>>      20     raise ImportError(
>>> ---> 21         "Gtk3 backend requires the GObject introspection bindings
>>> for Gtk 3 "
>>>      22         "to be installed.")
>>>      23

I didn't get that error, so I deleted ~/.ipython and now I get it :-/

I guess one option would be to use another back-end.  One of the
supported back-ends is TkAgg which requires Tkinter which is a library
coming with python itself. However, to get the library we need to
compile python with Tk. We had a discussion about this a few month
back. I'm not sure if the work was not finished because people prefer
to have a smallish python, or because of technical difficulties.

Still another back-end is WXAgg, but currently we lack wxPython. If
the dependency tree is not too deep, this may be the easiest route to
a working (again) matplotlib.

Regards,
Fede