guix-devel

Re: guix edit

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix edit
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 21:20:10 +0200

Eric Bavier <address@hidden> skribis:

> For immediate use, would we expect the user to save the file to a
> directory in $GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH?  Perhaps we could initially open the
> file in ~/.config/guix somewhere.

We could do that, but should we copy the whole file that contains the
recipe?  If so should we change the module name?  Or should we copy just
the recipe, but then how do we find out what the right import list is?

All this is tricky because we have limited introspection capabilities,
and a little object-to-source mapping info.

> Somewhat related, I'm wondering if others might think it useful for the
> recutils output from 'guix package --search' and 'guix package --show'
> to print the full name of the file the package is in?

It may indeed be more useful than just the truncated file name.

Ludo’.