guix-devel

Re: emacs packages

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: emacs packages
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:06:17 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> guix.el already takes care of that (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"),
>>> so that should be enough.
>>
>> Unfortunately this doesn't work without modification. The reason is
>> that I follow the emacs package.el strategy to install each ELPA
>> package in it's own sub-directory. Specifically, I'm installing each
>> package into ".../site-lisp/guix.d/PACKAGE-NAME-VERSION/".  The code
>> in 'guix.el', however, doesn't look in sub-directories below the
>> profile's '.../site-lisp'.
>
> What does it bring us to follow package.el’s strategy?
>
> My impression is that we could simply follow what guix.el already does,
> and thus avoid that guix.d/PACKAGE-VERSION sub-directory.  Of course we
> can adjust guix.el as we see fit, but package.el is a completely
> separate beast anyway.  Am I missing something?

Hi Ludo,

the reason for using separate sub-directories is that many packages
include files, such as README, ChangeLog, ..., that are likely to
clash. Even if we would delete all non ".el" files (which probably is
not safe), with more than 2500 packages on MELPA, it is possible that
we would still experience some name clashes. I can imagine that
someone preparing a package may be unaware of the existence of some
other package, possibly not very popular in his circle.

Regards,
Fede