guix-devel

Re: Help needed with security updates for Qt

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Help needed with security updates for Qt
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 22:14:44 +0800

> [...]
>
>> I'd like to try re-package qt5 with submodules, and drop QtWebEngine.
>> As same as Debian and NixOS did.
>
> And Fedora.  Ricardo found this insightful discussion:
>
>   http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2015-February/019960.html
>
> +1 for removing QtWebEngine and thus have a snippet that removes the
> bundled Chromium altogether.
Well, by build with submodule tarballs [1], Qt5 will split into various
packages:
  qtbase, qtsvg, qtx11extras, etc.
The current monolithic qt package will be deprecated.

It seems that some hacks are needed, basically:
  - when build:
    Make a 'qt.conf' and union the releated 'lib' and 'mkspecs' for
    qmake.  Should do in 'qmake-build-system'.
    FYI: nixpkgs's recipes [2] and qmake reference [3].

  - when run:
    Set 'QT_PLUGIN_PATH' and other variables with wrapper and/or
    profile envs.

And I believe this have to be done if we want to package KDE5,
since KF5 is a set of plugins for Qt.

[1] http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.4/5.4.2/submodules/
[2]
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/qt-5/5.4/setup-hook.sh