guix-devel

Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:34:02 -0400

> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Really?  In Evince, I can change the state of various things (such as
>>> whether or not to view documents continuously), but those changes are
>>> lost across restarts.  However, changes made via dconf-editor are not
>>> lost.  Weird no?
>>
>> 'dconf' is responsible for handling the program configuration. For
>> writes, it contacts D-Bus, for read it doesn't need D-Bus.
>>
>> https://developer.gnome.org/dconf/0.22/dconf-overview.html
>>
>> If 'dconf' is not available, the program reverts to a 'memory' back-end
>> and configuration is lost upon exit.

In Totem and GNOME Terminal, it's worse than that.  I've found that
without 'dconf' in my profile, I cannot even modify the settings within
a single run of the program.  For example, if I click on a checkbox in
the preferences, I see the state of the checkbox toggle and then
immediately revert back to its original setting within a small fraction
of a second.

      Mark