guix-devel

Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:52:12 +0200

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> In this last sentence, are you referring to dconf-the-program,
>>> dconf-the-library, or dconf-the-service?
>>>
>>> dconf-the-package is in my profile, so I would expect Evince to
>>> automatically dbus-launch it when it needs to save its settings, but
>>> apparently that doesn’t happen.
>>
>> I'm not sure about the terminology, but if you do
>>
>> GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/gnu/store/...-dconf-0.22.0/lib/gio/modules evince
>>
>> it should work. (See comments in the 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'.)
>
> Oh, I see.
>
> Then, should we make dconf an implicit input of
> glib-or-gtk-build-system?
>
> Or should we add it as an explicit dependency on a case-by-case basis?

IMO, given that every GLib based program needs it, the right thing to
do is to make it an implicit input of 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'.

In a similar way, every GLib based program/library makes use of sound
themes. For this to work it needs access to 'libcanberra'. Thus, for
sound themes to work, 'libcanberra' should also be an implicit input
of the build system.

You may be using a desktop where no sound theme is used/configured and
therefore not be seeing any message about this. But, if you use a
desktop with a sound theme, e.g. GNOME, you will see the following
messages:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
This is taken care by setting

GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/...-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0/modules

and would be done automatically by the 'glib-or-gtk-build-system' if
'libcanberra' would be an implicit input.

Regards,
Fede