guix-devel

Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 12:01:43 -0400

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Then, should we make dconf an implicit input of
>> glib-or-gtk-build-system?
>>
>> Or should we add it as an explicit dependency on a case-by-case basis?
>
> IMO, given that every GLib based program needs it, the right thing to
> do is to make it an implicit input of 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'.

Many GLib based programs do *not* need dconf.  So far, I know of only
two programs in Guix that need dconf.  It is a GNOME thing, not a GLib
thing.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the transitive inputs of dconf
uses 'glib-or-gtk-build-system', which would lead to a circularity
problem.

> In a similar way, every GLib based program/library makes use of sound
> themes.

That's not true either.

It may be that we should have a 'gnome-build-system' that's based on
'glib-or-gtk-build-system' but adds these extra implicit inputs and
arranges for more environment variables to be set in the wrappers.

Thoughts?

      Mark