guix-devel

Re: 0.8.3 for mid-July?

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: 0.8.3 for mid-July?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 09:53:20 -0400

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I think we should release 0.8.3 for mid to end July.

That sounds good.  I guess now is a good time to mention that I will
be AFK from July 10th to the 17th.

> The relevant things to be done include:
>
>   • Merging wip-diet and wip-environment, and maybe wip-container,
>     though that one could just as well be merged afterwards.

I looked at wip-environment last night and I liked what I saw.  I did
a couple of smoke tests and everything worked as expected.  Thanks for
figuring out some of the difficult issues there, like only including
the relevant outputs in the environment.

I'd really like wip-container to make it in so that we can start
showing it off, but I'm currently blocked on a working
eval-in-container implementation.  Perhaps I could save that for next
release and polish what works ('guix environment --container', 'guix
system container')?

>   • We must sit down and fix as many bugs as possible.
>     <http://bugs.gnu.org/20765> is a blocker IMO, but help is needed
>     from Pythonistas.  <http://bugs.gnu.org/20888> must be fixed too,
>     but there are many others.
>
>   • Several people reported getting a kernel panic, instead of a Guile
>     prompt, when something goes wrong during early boot (in the initrd.)
>     I haven’t been able to reproduce it in a VM; if someone could
>     reproduce it, that would be great.
>
> There are optimizations that I would like to look into it, though they
> are not blocker IMO:
>
>   • ‘guix build hydra -n’ literally takes ages, as Eric noted, so that
>     needs to be investigated.
>
>   • ‘guix system’ is quite slow, but it’s apparently computing the same
>     derivations several times, which must be fixed.
>
> Anything else?  Comments?

Let's do this! :)

- Dave