guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Guix + Hurd continuation

From: Manolis Ragkousis
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Guix + Hurd continuation
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 16:38:54 +0300

Hello everyone,

On 2 July 2015 at 12:12, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>   0. Run Guix’s ‘./configure --with-courage && make’ and see what
>      happens.
>   1. ‘guix-daemon’ must work correctly on GNU/Hurd.

Already started working on them. Will report back today on my first results.

>   2. When building natively, surely you’ll find out that some packages
>      do not build (PATH_MAX!), and that there are assumptions in
>      hurd.scm and base.scm, such as the fact that GNU/Hurd is a
>      cross-compilation target and not a native system.

I already have a pretty solid idea of what you mean. Will work around
them as I progress.

>   3. In parallel to that, I should review wip-hurd again and apply the
>      patches to a new ‘core-updates’ branch.

Okay.

>   4. Instead of sitting idle watching build logs ;-), it Would Be Nice™
>      to implement the ‘mount’ and ‘umount’ functions for GNU/Hurd in
>      libc, with support for MS_BIND using /hurd/firmlink.
>      Of course libc hacking can be quite involved.  So ideally Samuel,
>      Thomas, and others would give you detailed guidance and/or hack
>      power.  What do people think?

Yes,  I think now it's the right time to start this. Expect questions
as I work on this. :-)
Meanwhile if the hurd guys have something to point out, please do. :-)

> Another can of worms I forgot to mention is <hurd/paths.h>, which
> assumes that translators live in /hurd, whereas we’ll rather have them
> in /gnu/store/…/hurd.

A question. Isn't it possible, that this will break the Hurd expected
behavior? I think I should get
a better understanding of how things work.

Manolis