guix-devel

Re: Adding tags to packages

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Adding tags to packages
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 11:24:55 +0200

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 09:41:04AM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
     I don't know it this has been discussed before, but it would be useful
     to have an optional tagging system. I would like to mark packages that
     are useful for bioinformatics which can be outside the
     bioinformatics.scm. Likewise it would be useful to mark packages that
     are security related, network related, desktop related, x11 related
     etc.

     I propose an open metadata tagging system where package maintainers
     can just enter any keyword in a list. Like the license tag, they can
     be approved by GNU Guix and have metadescriptions somewhere.

     This is about searching for information. One useful output would be to
     present collections of packages on the www or in RDF/JSON.

Yeah it's been discussed before.

Looking at other operating systems / package managers which do this, it
has never really been a success.  Trying to predict what tags the user
is going to search for is  - well like trying to read the mind of
someone you've not yet met.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3