guix-devel

RE: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: Using a shared Guix store (was RE: [Bio-packaging] testing out guix)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 19:20:09 +0000

Hi Ludovic and Ricardo,

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > Even then, /gnu would be mounted read-only on all but the management
> > host, because there would still only be one daemon writing to the
> > store and the localstatedir – even if it would take requests from
> > multiple remote guix clients.
>
> I think $localstatedir (/var/guix by default), or a subset thereof (namely
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user) should be shared read-write over NFS to allow
> users to create the profiles/per-user/$USER symlinks from other machines.

Loduvic, I'm not sure I understand well enough to agree....

Ricardo, I appreciate your fixing my reasoning below....

Certainly per-user profiles must be network readable , since they wind up on
PATH.   Perhaps within /gnu/guix/profiles/per-user?

However, if `guix` command is enabled (using ssh/pipe/??) to run in networked
environment with build and other work continuing to be coordinated by
guix-daemon, then updates to per-user profiles similarly would need to be
coordinated.  For example, if a user wants to `guix package --install
somePkg-someVersion` then that package must  be protected against any
"simultaneous" garbage collection.  Running the --install through the network
daemon is the guix way of protecting against such a race condition.

On this topic, examining the documentation a bit further makes me wonder
whether support for `guix build --root  MYROOT` will be impossible when (a)
MYROOT is not accessible to the host running guix-daemon.  Will this be an
issue?

Cheers,

Malcolm