guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: boost: Update to 1.58.0.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: boost: Update to 1.58.0.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:52:24 -0400

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 06:00:39PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Boost turns out to be an important package.  The fallout from this is
>> 412 newly failed builds on mips64el:
>>   http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/105333#tabs-now-fail
>
> I do not quite understand this number, it should be 65 according to the
> first link. But anyway, it is an important package.

I'm not 100% sure what's happening either, but more packages are
becoming broken over time.  I think it has to do with the fact that
'git' is one of the broken packages, and other packages that fetch their
source code using 'git' are becoming broken whenever Guix decides it's
time to try re-downloading the source, e.g.:

  http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/105357#tabs-now-fail

http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/105355?filter=.mips64el-linux&compare=105351#tabs-now-fail

Anyway, thanks for investigating this, but it seems that we still don't
understand what's going on, and meanwhile our MIPS port is extremely
broken.

I've reverted the patch.  After we have a solution to this problem, we
can build it in a separate branch.  I think we should have done this
anyway, since updating Boost entails a lot of rebuilds, and has a
history of being problematic on non-Intel platforms.

Does that make sense?

      Mark