guix-devel

RE: Formatting lists in descriptions

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: Formatting lists in descriptions
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:58:14 +0000

> Yes, why not; it’s still not very pleasant to the eye but at least it
> formatting
> will be preserved (except for guix-web, but we can fix it
> later.)
>
> > And as I have an unhealthy desire to organize the same things in the
> > same manner, what variant to choose for formatting lists?  Should the
> > list items begin with "-" or "+" or "*" or "•" and should there be
> > spaces before the chosen symbol or maybe there should be just a couple
> > of spaces without any marker?
>
> I have a slight preference for • (which is the standard thing in English,
> AIUI),
> preceded by two spaces.
>
> The downside is that it won’t render properly on non-Unicode capable
> terminals (and in a non-Unicode-capable locale, Guile will emit a question
> mark instead), but I think that’s a price I don’t mind paying.

Hi - I'm late to this discussion - not sure all the issues on the table - but
how about deferring to markdown in such cases.

In which case use "#" and "##" for section headers and

"Unordered lists use asterisks, pluses, and hyphens — interchangably — as list
markers"

Personally, I don't like asterisk ' * ' since they are used by emacs org-mode
for headlines (albeit without leading space).

~Malcolm