guix-devel

Re: Last-minute testing

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Last-minute testing
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:17:41 +0200

Andy Patterson <address@hidden> skribis:

> I tested it out last night. I got it to install; it boots fine; I can
> log in as root; things work. Unfortunately I left out a password in my
> config.scm for the user account I wanted to create. I tried changing
> this quickly with passwd, but this caused the session manager to fail
> when logging in as the user. This was because a home directory wasn't
> created for my user; once I added one manually I was able to log in. I
> also tried "guix system reconfigure" with a password added to
> config.scm, but this failed when installing new packages. Unfortunately
> I've lost the specific message I received; I can try it again tonight.
> It might be nice to document for users that a password should be
> supplied in the config file; I initially had hoped it would be empty.

As it turns out, ‘root’ is initialized with an empty password, and for
other users, you shouldn’t use the ‘password’ field of up
‘user-account’.

<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html>
tries to make that clear, but perhaps there’s misleading info somewhere?

Also, the user’s home directory should definitely be created
automatically.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.