guix-devel

Problems with grub2

From: Fabian Boucsein
Subject: Problems with grub2
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:07:19 +0200

Hello Guix hackers,

i am trying to install GuixSD 0.8.3. I am using this configuration
and try to install it on a USB disk:

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "bare bones" setup, with no X11 display server.

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules networking ssh)
(use-package-modules admin)

(operating-system
  (host-name "amanita")
  (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
  (locale "en_US.UTF-8")

  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "root" is
  ;; the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sdb")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sdb1")
                        (title 'device)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  ;; This is where user accounts are specified.  The "root"
  ;; account is implicit, and is initially created with the
  ;; empty password.
  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "fabian")
                (comment "fabian")
                (group "users")

                ;; Adding the account to the "wheel" group
                ;; makes it a sudoer.  Adding it to "audio"
                ;; and "video" allows the user to play sound
                ;; and access the webcam.
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/fabian"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; Globally-installed packages.
  (packages (cons tcpdump %base-packages))

  ;; Add services to the baseline: a DHCP client and
  ;; an SSH server.
  (services (cons* (dhcp-client-service)
                   (lsh-service #:port-number 2222)
                   %base-services)))
First i tried it with (locale "de_DE.UTF-8") but guix told me that de_DE is not available. This is of course changeable after installation but will it be added to the guix installation later?

When i try the installation as mentioned above everything is fine until the installation of grub. Grub tells me that there are multiple labels assigned to the device. When i look into /dev/disk/by-label i find one label for a partition. Is there a way to get rid of this disk labels? I tried it with parted but that brought no help. In the configuration i am telling that i want to use device names. Why is grub2 using labels anyway??? I am not sure what is the source of the problem. With Nix i have the same issue when i try to install grub2. Grub1 is working fine. Will Grub1 be added to guix? I have not found a Nix configuration which tells nix to use devices instead of labels.

Looking forward for any help. By the way i really want to have a working Guix system. After seeing Ludovics Fosdem talk i am so excited about guix. What a wonderful idea!

Yours sincerely,
Fabian