guix-devel

Re: Add guix install command

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Add guix install command
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:23:23 +0200

Hi!

I sympathize with the idea that ‘guix package -i’ and co. can be
cumbersome to type and maybe non-obvious, so I would be happy to add
‘guix install’, ‘guix remove’, and ‘guix search’.  I would prefer to
document ‘guix package’ as the canonical interface though, for the
reasons David and Chris gave.

However, this should be gratis in maintenance costs IMO, which means no
code duplication and equivalent functionality.

Thus, that probably means making ‘guix install’ a strict alias for ‘guix
package -i’, with the oddities that you mentioned, Andy (one could run
‘guix install foo -r bar’ and so on.)

So, what about adding a simple alias mechanism for ‘run-guix-command’ in
(guix ui) and using it to define those three aliases?  ‘guix help’ and
similar would explicitly mark them as aliases.

Eventually, we could allow users to define aliases via
~/.config/guix/aliases, say.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.