guix-devel

Re: Duplicate entries in $profile/etc/profile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Duplicate entries in $profile/etc/profile
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 19:16:53 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> With this manifest:
>
>     (use-package-modules gcc llvm base python version-control less ccache)
>
>     (packages->manifest
>      (list clang
>            coreutils
>            diffutils
>            findutils
>            tar
>            patch
>            sed
>            grep
>            binutils
>            glibc
>            glibc-locales
>            which
>            gnu-make
>            python-2
>            git
>            less
>            libstdc++-4.9
>            gcc-4.9
>            (list gcc-4.9 "lib")
>            ccache))
>
> If I install these packages via:
>
>   guix package -p ~/profiles/v8 -m ~/profiles/v8.scm
>
> And then:
>
>   cat ~/profiles/v8/etc/profile
>
> I get:

[...]

> Which obviously includes three identical copies of CPATH and
> LIBRARY_PATH.  What's up with that?

Duplication comes from the fact that 3 entries in the manifest claim
these two variables: clang, gcc, and gcc:lib.

In this case all three search path specifications are identical, so this
is harmless.  Commit fa96048 fixes that.

To be complete, we should perhaps warn the user when different
specifications are given for the same variable.  That seems rather
unlikely, though.

Thanks for the report!

Ludo’.