guix-devel

Re: elogind status

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: elogind status
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:14:36 +0800

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
Great news!

> On Fri 21 Aug 2015 13:48, "Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> How much do you know about what uselessd, nosh and the Ubuntu logind
>> shim and how they did things? I don't know anything, I just know these
>> things exist.
>
> No idea!  Could be some things didn't exist back in May?
>
> Looking now:
>
>  * uselessd is unmaintained, based on an old fork of systemd, actively
>    hates things I don't care about, aims to replace systemd and not just
>    logind
>
>  * nosh: doesn't implement the login1 d-bus interface
>
>  * Ubuntu logind shim: Couldn't find information about this.  Ubuntu
>    uses systemd now so this isn't a way forward for Guix.
AFAIK, "systemd-shim emulates the systemd function", so that Debian/Ubuntu
could run logind(from systemd) without running systemd as init. I think
it's for migration.

Also, I find another attempt 'LoginKit' from Devuan, but it suspended.
<https://github.com/dimkr/LoginKit/issues/11>

> I like systemd so I don't have many motivations of anti-systemd people
> :)  I'm cool with DMD too, don't really care to be honest.  But logind
> interfaces seem to pervade a lot of GNOME, so I'm happy to just take
> systemd's implementation and hack it into a standalone thing.
Really cool, I think we can reach GNOME soon :-)