guix-devel

Re: 01/03: gnu: hurd: Add hurd-kernel-headers package.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 01/03: gnu: hurd: Add hurd-kernel-headers package.
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:03:17 +0200

Manolis Ragkousis <address@hidden> skribis:

> We discussed that a union package could be helpful to avoid having to
> handle 3 packages every time,
> plus make it easier to choose between linux and hurd headers.

Yes, I remember that.

What I wonder though is whether we can achieve the same thing as the
union but using propagated inputs instead.

> Adding hurd-minimal as an input to hurd-headers will create dependency
> problems, because hurd-minimal inherits hurd-headers.

Yes, but that’s OK (the ‘inputs’ field is “thunked”, so it can contain
references to not-yet-defined variables.)

> I can solve that, but I believe the union package to be a much simpler
> approach.

I think propagated inputs would make things simpler since that would
allow us to remove the code that builds the union.

But it could be that I’m overlooking something, or that it wouldn’t work
for some obscure reason.

Could you give it a try to see what happens?

TIA!

Ludo’.