guix-devel

Re: Services and packages in GuixSD

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Services and packages in GuixSD
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:06:21 +0200

On Wed 26 Aug 2015 12:54, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Tue 25 Aug 2015 22:36, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> However, the above means that the
>>> reconfigure-but-don’t-switch-until-reboot behavior would no longer be
>>> possible.
>>
>> Not sure what this case is for -- either you want to expose the newly
>> reconfigured apps to the user or you don't, right?  In the former case
>> it seems that really what you want is to prepare everything for reboot
>> but only switch the profile on boot.  Dunno, I don't have the tao of
>> guix yet :)
>
> It can be useful if you want to install a new configuration to make it
> effective at the next reboot, but don’t want to make any change until
> then.

Oh I agree with you -- but if you switch the system profile before the
reboot (/run/current-system, not /run/booted-system) but you have
various things pointing into /run/current-system like user $PATH and
what-not, it seems like this case is already not being served correctly.
Dunno.

It seems like you want two kinds of reconfigure: one that just adds the
grub entry to make a new system the default on the next boot, and
another kind of reconfigure that also mutates /run/current-system.  Does
that make sense?

Andy