guix-devel

Re: New ‘guix graph’ command

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: New ‘guix graph’ command
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:58:08 +0200

Nice job, It is really convenient to have such utility.

Does it sound feasible to produce different edge colors depending of the type
of inputs?

> ‘bag-emerged’
>      This is the package DAG, _including_ implicit inputs.
>
>      For instance, the following command:
>
>           guix graph --type=bag-emerged coreutils | dot -Tpdf > dag.pdf
>
>      ...  yields this bigger graph:
>

>      At the bottom of the graph, we see all the implicit inputs of
>      GNU-BUILD-SYSTEM (*note ‘gnu-build-system’: Build Systems.).
>
>      Now, note that the dependencies of those implicit inputs—that is,
>      the “bootstrap dependencies” (*note Bootstrapping::)—are not shown
>      here, for conciseness.
>
> ‘bag’
>      Similar to ‘bag-emerged’, but this time including all the bootstrap
>      dependencies.

Not really important, but IMO it would be clearer to define bag-emerged
in terms of what bag is doing with something like this.

‘bag’
     This is the package DAG, _including_ implicit inputs.

‘bag-emerged’
     Similar to ‘bag’, but this time without all the bootstrap
     dependencies.

     For instance, the following command:

          guix graph --type=bag-emerged coreutils | dot -Tpdf > dag.pdf

     [...]

What do you think?

--
Mathieu Lirzin