guix-devel

Re: elogind status

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: elogind status
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:21:33 +0200

Hello!

Thanks a lot for the update and explanations... and for the achievement!
It’s wonderful that you were able to address it, while some of us (me)
were staring at the issue fearfully thinking “hmm, this looks hard.”
;-)

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> Upstream logind integrates with systemd to ensure that user sessions are
> run in cgroups, which is a pretty neat feature.  They manage cgroups
> with a hierarchical "slice" abstraction.  Perhaps DMD should do this at
> some point.  Using cgroups also lets logind know when a process was
> started by a user but the user has logged out, and optionally lets the
> administrator kill user processes when they log out.  So, elogind will
> expose information about users, sessions, and seats, but for now not
> slices.  Most logind users don't care so this is OK.

Sounds OK, indeed.  We should indeed add similar cgroup support indeed;
not sure if dmd is the right place, though.

> First of all you need some extra file systems.  These paths provide a
> documented interface to logind information:
>
>   (file-system
>     (device "systemd")
>     (mount-point "/run/systemd")
>     (type "tmpfs")
>     (check? #f)
>     (flags '(no-suid no-dev no-exec))
>     (options "mode=0755")
>     (create-mount-point? #t))
>   (file-system
>     (device "systemd")
>     (mount-point "/run/user")
>     (type "tmpfs")
>     (check? #f)
>     (flags '(no-suid no-dev no-exec))
>     (options "mode=0755")
>     (create-mount-point? #t))

We should add them to %base-file-systems or something.

>            (mingetty-service "tty1" #:motd motd #:additional-session-modules
> (list pam-elogind))

Now I understand; sorry for not reading messages in the right order!

So I think %desktop-services should map over %base-services and simply
add the session module, as I suggested in the other thread.  WDYT?

If the user adds another login-capable service and forgets to add the
‘pam-elogind’ PAM service in there, there’s a problem, but maybe that’s
acceptable as a first step?

Anyway, thanks for working on this!

Ludo’.