guix-devel

Re: R dependencies

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: R dependencies
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 08:29:59 +0200

Hi Vicente,

> Going back to the R dependencies topic, I ran across an issue when
> trying to draw a plot (with ggplot2). But first some context:
>
> - I'm not using GuixSD but a binary installation over Manjaro OpenRC;
> several base packages missing on Guix
> - I only have other two Guix packages installed: xpdf & abbaye

All Guix packages capture the complete graph of dependencies, so you’ll
always end up with the dependent packages in ‘/gnu/store’ even if only
those packages appear in your profile that have been explicitly
installed.

> - I installed ggplot2 through install.packages("ggplot2") in R (Guix package)

Note that ggplot2 has been packaged for Guix:

    guix package -i r-ggplot2

> R complained about some fonts missing, but I think it could be related
> to a missing X11 dependency (complete Xorg maybe?). What could it be?

What is the exact error message you get?  Is any plot drawn at all?
What is the code you use to draw the plot?

~~ Ricardo