guix-devel

Re: Texinfo in descriptions?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Texinfo in descriptions?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 18:50:43 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2015-09-07 00:31 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès (2015-09-06 16:51 +0300) wrote:
>>
>>> Alex: We should maybe disable the paragraph filling code in guix.el so
>>> that it doesn’t mess up with formatting?
>>
>> I don't mind (if you remember I didn't actually like such filling¹, and
>> I've never used it).  So we can change the default value of
>> ‘guix-package-info-fill-heading’ variable.
>
> Yes, though ideally the elisp code would provide Scheme code the current
> value of ‘fill-column’ so that text is filled using the right width.
> WDYT?

Do you mean that ‘package-description-string’ should take an optional
'fill-column' argument, so that it can be called from the elisp side?

If so, I'm afraid currently there is no way to have such fine tuning for
the received package parameters.  The package (or generation) data is
received all at once using ‘guix-get-entries’, for example:

(guix-get-entries guix-current-profile 'package 'name '("r"))
(guix-get-entries guix-current-profile 'generation 'last '(3))

As you can see there is no place to specify fill-column there.  But I
have noted this thing, perhaps it will become possible one day.

--
Alex