guix-devel

Re: Should we start a Guix users wiki?

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: Should we start a Guix users wiki?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 10:01:03 +0200

Le 2015-09-08 00:08, Craig Barnes a écrit :
Hi Guix,

Some time ago I asked on IRC about a guix users wiki.  Someone suggest
that I propose one here (sorry it's taken so long).

I think that a wiki would be a good complement to the manual, which
while quite complete, lacks exhaustive examples (which would be
impractical).

I have found myself searching through the mailing list archives for
solutions, and trawling through relevant threads on a number of
occasions.  If this information was organized in a dedicated wiki it
would be much more accessible and would make it maintainable.

And it will make the community more visible.

As an example, Arch(Gnu)Linux's wiki is one of it's stronger points.  I
often end up there when searching for answers to application questions
for other distros.

Same over the gentoo/emacs wiki.

I would be more than happy to help maintain a Guix(SD) wiki, if needed I
would be happy to host it somewhere.

It seems to me that it was kind of some trouble that the wiki was hosted
by a third party at gentoo.

What do you think?

The only thing that I can think of, is that given the fact that guix will be soon distributed over gnunet. It makes more sens to have the official wiki also hosted on gnunet and make a copy of it available for reading on the www. Sure it's not done yet, and it needs to be coded. I think that we have all the pieces to make something like that happen.