guix-devel

Re: IBus and different GTK versions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: IBus and different GTK versions
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 18:06:05 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Isn’t this a little too high a price to pay?  One can only install one
>>> (major) version of GTK+ into a profile, so when we begin propagating the
>>> GTK inputs users will run into conflicts.
>>>
>>> I would really like to avoid propagating GTK+ (although it may be a bad
>>> idea to have software depend on different minor versions of GTK+).  It
>>> would be very nice if only additional modules—such as explicitly
>>> installed themes and input method modules—would have to be installed to
>>> the profile.  Those who do not need themes or input methods would not
>>> need to be bothered with this at all.
>>
>> I guess the question is: what would be the uglier fix?  Do we prefer to
>> force users to have GTK+ installed in their profiles, or are we okay
>> with patching the GTK+ sources such that additional environment
>> variables would be respected, allowing users to specify different
>> module directories for version 2 and version 3?

It would not be OK to force users to have GTK+ in their profile.

> Looking at the GTK sources it occurred to me that there may be yet
> another way we could fix this.  GTK3 no longer searches for modules in
> ~/.gtk-3.0 but GTK2 still looks in ~/.gtk-2.0 by default.  Symlinking
> ‘~/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-2.0’ to ‘~/.gtk-2.0’ might be sufficient for
> GTK2 applications.
>
> For GTK3 we could use the attached (untested) patch, which makes GTK3
> look for additional modules in the path specified by the optional
> environment variable “GTK3_PATH”.  This way we could point “GTK3_PATH”
> at ‘~/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0’, ensuring that only GTK3 applications
> load the GTK3 modules and GTK2 don’t crash.

Sounds good.  We should discuss it with upstream, but IMO this patch is
acceptable regardless of what upstream thinks (I’m guessing upstream
targets mainly FHS, where the environment variable is typically
unnecessary in the first place.)

> If we wanted symmetry we could patch GTK2 in a similar manner, making it
> respect a “GTK2_PATH” variable instead.

Yes, that would be best.

Thanks!

Ludo’.