guix-devel

Re: modprobe on guix

From: Petter
Subject: Re: modprobe on guix
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:32:38 +0200

> One solution would be to provide a /etc/environment file containing the
> right value for LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY (‘sudo’ honors that, according to
> sudoers(5).)

Yes, this is interesting. When i considered this previously i
prematurely put it aside because it requires PAM, and i wrongly
concluded our sudo wasn't configured with PAM (based on package
definition). On second look, i see PAM is on by default for Linux
distributions when building sudo; also running  sudo -V  as root user
confirms this. However, creating /etc/environment and putting stuff
there doesn't have any effect for me. But i believe the reason is that a
module needs to be added to linux-pam, namely pam_env[1].

I'd like to have a go at this and see if i can make a patch for this.

Maybe it makes sense to put /all/ the environment variables, especially
for root operations, in /etc/environment? From what i understand
variables from outside this file will not be expanded, so if not it
would mean duplicating definitions. Also, having this as a
just-for-those-sudo-users would be easy for root users to miss
updating. Then obviously root logins would have to make use of this file
as well, but i'm sure that can be arranged. I'll look more into this.

[1] http://www.linux-pam.org/Linux-PAM-html/sag-pam_env.html

Petter