guix-devel

Re: Icecat vs. iceweasel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Icecat vs. iceweasel
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:56:09 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Last I heard the IceCat binaries were a bit further behind.

We use our own binaries though.

> I don't like the direction Firefox is heading, but we're a bit
> constrained by IceCat not being as up to date, especially in the world
> of fast and furious "new web features" and "new web vulnerabilities".

My primary concern is about vulnerabilities.  Mark has been doing a
great job applying patches for IceCat vulnerabilities in Guix while
waiting for patched IceCat releases.

Ideally, this patching would occur directly in IceCat itself, quickly
followed by releases.

Now, if it turns out that those demands cannot be fulfilled, for
instance due to limited development resources on IceCat, then we may
want to consider joining forces with Debian’s Iceweasel team instead.
It’s a discussion to have with the IceCat maintainer, obviously.

WDYT?

Ludo’.