guix-devel

Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 18:25:58 +0200

Hi everyone,

I have just set up a virtual machine for test-driving Guix as a software development and deployment tool in scientific computing. I found the Guix SD to be a bit too minimal for my needs, so I started from a minimal Debian 8 system and added the Guix package manager. I haven't done anything else but installing software until now, but so far it looks very good!

However, I would appreciate having the Guix manual more easily accessible in my main working environment, which is Emacs. I expected it to show up in the info directory, but it doesn't. I have to use the info tool from the command line, which is, well, suboptimal.

I tried to fix this myself as an exercise in working with Guix, but it seems that Guix profiles do not handle INFOPATH at all. I do not consider setting INFOPATH in my .bashrc for now, as that would be cheating ;-)

So is there a Guix-y way to add info files from packages to Emacs' info directory?

Konrad.