guix-devel

Re: .dir-locals.el vs. guix-devel-mode

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: .dir-locals.el vs. guix-devel-mode
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 14:06:33 +0300

Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer" (2015-09-28 23:05 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> More generally, I'm strongly against using "eval" in .dir-locals.  IMO
>> this file should be used only to set local variables, and ideally it
>> shouldn't evaluate an arbitrary code.
>
> Just to clarify: I suppose you mean using eval for things other than
> which Emacs can automatically determine to be safe.  E.g.
>
>     (eval . (put 'foo 'scheme-indent-function <n>))
>
> for integer <n> is safe; Emacs will eval that silently if I'm not
> mistaken.

Actually I don't like .dir-locals.el in general.  I consider it a
workaround for the case when there are no appropriate major/minor modes
for editing the project files.

> But for things where Emacs pesters the user because it finds it
> "unsafe," I find that very annoying.

Indeed; it may be even scaring for newbies.  At least it was for me when
I first faced such "unsafe" warning, so I used (setq
enable-local-variables nil) for some time :-)

--
Alex