guix-devel

Re: .dir-locals.el vs. guix-devel-mode

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: .dir-locals.el vs. guix-devel-mode
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:10:15 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2015-09-29 22:16 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]
>> So I think .dir-locals.el is not the proper place for indentation rules.
>> IMHO they should be moved to "guix-devel.el" and the manual should
>> recommend using 'guix-devel-mode' for editing guix package files as it
>> provides the proper indenting, highlighting and some useful key
>> bindings.
>
> Yes, but I agree with Taylan: a passerby should get a reasonable setup
> in place automatically.  That’s what I like about .dir-locals.el: it
> allows you to make sure that a minimum set of rules is in place, which
> in turn means that patches are more likely to come out right, which
> means less frustration and increased happiness.
>
> Using eval + load in .dir-locals.el is indeed ugly though.  So, for lack
> of a better solution, I’m fine having some of the rules duplicated.
> Specifically, rules for ‘package’, ‘origin’, ‘operating-system’,
> ‘substitute*’, ‘with-store’, ‘with-monad’, ‘run-with-store’,
> ‘run-with-state’, and ‘m…’.
>
> How does that sound?

I'd like to have them in "guix-devel.el", but I don't see the reason for
duplicating.  I think they either should be placed in "guix-devel.el"
(surely the right thing for me :-)) or stay in ".dir-locals.el" (I'm
afraid the right thing for the most :-().

Why do you suggest the duplication?

--
Ceterum censeo +Carthaginem+ ".dir-locals.el" esse delendam