guix-devel

Reproducible environments

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Reproducible environments
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:50:52 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am exploring the use of Guix for reproducible environments in scientific
computing. My goals are very similar to those described in the paper
"Reproducible and User-Controlled Software Environments in HPC with Guix".

Section 4.1 of that paper says that a given environment, defined by a Guix
profile, can be reproduced given (1) a manifest and (2) the Guix commit
defining all the packages.

Problem #1: After reading the manual twice, I still don't see how I can tell
"guix package" to use a given Guix commit.

Problem #2: What if my profile contains packages from several Guix commits
(typically for getting specific older versions)? Or if it contains packages
defined outside of the Guix distribution, in Guile modules on GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH?

If my understanding of Guix is correct, all the required information for
rebuilding everything identically is available at a lower level, in the
derivation files. Would it be feasible to collect all the derivation files
underlying a profile in a tar archive, and then have them rebuilt and added to
a fresh profile in an automatized way?

Konrad.