guix-devel

Re: Plan for 0.9.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Plan for 0.9.0
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 21:58:05 +0200

Alex Vong <address@hidden> skribis:

> Regarding gc, I remember I accidentally ran "guix gc" and removed all
> the build dependencies like bash, glibc... Then, I realized the proper
> way to run gc is to run "guix gc -d <DIRECTORY>".

I wouldn’t call it “the proper way.”  Most of the time, I simply want to
free space on my disk, so I run either, say, ‘guix gc -C500M’ if I’m in
a hurry, or ‘guix gc’.  The ‘-d’ switch is really for specific cases.

But as Taylan notes, you should run guix-daemon with --gc-keep-outputs
--gc-keep-derivations to avoid losing the build time dependencies.

> Perhaps we should change the command for garbage collecting everything
> from "guix gc" to "guix gc -a" and "guix gc --all". Does this sound
> reasonable?

Dunno, I admit I’m not as enthusiastic as the other people here.  :-)

What would ‘guix gc’ (without any option) do?

Thanks,
Ludo’.