guix-devel

Re: updating list of substitutes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: updating list of substitutes
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:12:51 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:31:21PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> In summary, the full set of available substitutes is typically quite
> large and changes frequently, so this approach would entail a lot of
> wasted network bandwidth (and load on hydra) to maintain the complete
> list of substitutes on every client machine, although only a small
> fraction of these would be of interest to any given user.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, I had not realised the list changes so often. The technical
solution would be to ship the incremental diffs every time. But I
realise this may be harder than it looks.

I guess we'll have to advertise that people use their own substitue
server as a cache, like Ludo suggests. At least that will scale.

Pj.