guix-devel

Re: GuixSD and free hardware

From: Gammel Holte
Subject: Re: GuixSD and free hardware
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:44:07 +0100

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
I think many of us are interested in having GuixSD on those devices.

Mark recently ported GuixSD to mips, which allowed him to identify
architecture-specific assumptions need to be addressed.  That was an
important first step.

There’s also the question of whether we can use GRUB on these platforms,
since GuixSD pretty much relies on it.  Latest GRUB reportedly works on
(some) ARM platforms:
<https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Kernel/GRUB>.

It would be good to see if GRUB can be used as the LibreBoot payload on
the C201, as a replacement for ‘depthcharge’.

It's good news GuixSD is interested in supporting these machines, as I think it's gonna be where the majority of (mostly)-free hardware comes in the near future.

I might try to buy a C201 soon to see if I can get GuixSD running. I hadn't thought about possible issues with an ARM payload on Libreboot. That's a very good point.