guix-devel

Re: Some newbie questions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Some newbie questions
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:32:31 +0100

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Jan Synáček <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been playing with guix a bit and I must say I really like it. I don't
>> understand a few things though.
>>
>> 1) How do I tell if a package I have installed had been built locally or
>> downloaded as a substitute?
>
> You don't.

There’s a trick that ‘guix challenge’ uses to determine whether
something was locally built or substituted: run ‘guix build --log-file
whatever’ and see whether that returns a local build log or not.

This is a fairly reliable way to get that information.  There can be
false-negatives if you remove logs.  There cannot be false positives,
AFAICS, since even ‘guix archive --import’ of something already present
does not actually overwrite it.

It cannot tell the difference between really locally-built and offloaded
builds, though.

Ludo’.