guix-devel

Re: 2 (possible) problems in documentation

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: 2 (possible) problems in documentation
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 00:17:40 +0300

Alex Vong (2015-10-31 14:27 +0300) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hit several problems when I followed the documentation. Please see
> if it is a real issue or just my misunderstandings.
>
> 1. In <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#X11-Fonts>,
> it saids "Essential font packages include gs-fonts, font-dejavu, and
> font-gnu-freefont.". But I think "font-gnu-freefont" has been renamed
> to "font-gnu-freefont-ttf", so this has to be changed.

I think this on-line manual is for the current version (0.8.3).  The
typo you mention was fixed in the git repo:
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=8fe5b1d1d1d188cbc6eb1b644fdc0d9fff255d4e>

> 2. In
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Running-Guix-Before-It-Is-Installed>,
> it said "To that end, all the command-line tools can be used even if
> you have not run make install.". However, in the case of "guix pull",
> it is not true. Even if "guix pull" does run properly, it will not
> update the source tree you have downloaded, so you end up with running
> the original compiled version of Guix. Obviously, I was a victim :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  "guix pull" can't update
the source tree you downloaded.  It fetches the latest guix source,
compiles it, put it to the store and link "~/.config/guix/latest" to it.
Then the Guix code from this directory when you run "guix ..." commands.

If you use the described "pre-inst-env" method, the code from the git
directory is used instead, and running "guix pull" doesn't effect
".../pre-inst-env guix" commands in any way.  Here instead of "guix
pull" you use "git pull" and "make".

--
Alex