guix-devel

polkit & udisks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: polkit & udisks
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 18:04:13 +0100

Hi!

Commit 222e331 changes ‘polkit-service-type’ so that other services can
extend it with new polkit “actions” and “rules,” which colord and
elogind do.

Commit 2b9e0a9 adds UDisks to ‘%desktop-services’.  Now, one can run
things like:

  udisksctl status
  udisksctl mount -b /dev/foo

Hopefully GUIs (Xfce?) automatically detect things like USB keys that
are inserted and might even be able to mount/unmount them (though I
think that, since this is restricted to people sitting at the computer,
and since we don’t use pam_elogind yet, that only works for ‘root’ ATM.)

Anyway, I would be glad if desktop-savvy people could report back!

This addresses some of the problems that Andy identified when adding
polkit and friends this summer, which led to the service refactoring.
So it sort of closes the loop.

Thanks,
Ludo’.