guix-devel

Re: Call for testing!

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: Call for testing!
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 12:06:16 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Hi!

Please test the USB installation image at:

http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.9.0pre.x86_64-linux.xz
 SHA1: 0d7f37d5b18f7b4437b447fc8a90b44c470f6e99

http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.9.0pre.x86_64-linux.xz.sig

This is for x86_64 and the installation instruction still apply:

 https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html

… but tty2 in the installation image provides the latest version of the
manual, with slightly different examples (notably with an encrypted root
partition.)

I’m sorry that once again these arrive a day or two before the target
release date.  Please report back ASAP.

Reports of installations in VMs are interesting; bare-metal installation
are even better.

I've tested on real hw with desktop config without crypto.

Notes:

1) doc: I would suggest to put in the doc (on tty2) to put the commands that should be used during installation on the separate lines

e.g.:
"
o install the system, you would:

    Configure the network, by running ifconfig eno1 up && dhclient eno1
"
should be
"
o install the system, you would:

    Configure the network, by running

      ifconfig eno1 up && dhclient eno1
"

This really helps when one is quickly scanning the installation procedure to find the desired commands.

2) I do sometimes see a guix deamon to spit a
"spurious SIGPOLL"
message. I do not know what it means.

3) I do see the process of installtion beeing from time to time aborted due to "can not resolve hydra.gnu.org" (sorry the message is not exact).

4) would be nice if installation image includes mouse (gpm) support - I did not found and easy way to copy the content from installation guide.

5) after default installation and reboot, grub loads the kernel, but the boot ends with
"waiting for "root" device to appear"
erroring out as it can not be found.
This was caused by the label "root" missing on /dev/sda1 partition, even thou it is specified in config.scm.

6) At first I had troubles with name resolution in the installed system. All address translation requests do end with "host not found". I have to explicitely ask with bind-utils host command, then the name is cached and I can use it. After some more package installation, that brought in the glibc or something and reboot it started to work OK?! (Related to 3?)

Thanks!  :-)

I am very impressed with the GuixSD advancement. Thanks to all.

Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl